FAQ - Solar Controller
Do I have to connect house electricity to the Solar Controller?
No. The Solar Controller will be powered by the solar panel when sunlight is available. When sunlight is not available and with no connection to house electricity, the Solar Controller will not function. Attic temperature and humidity will not be monitored. As soon as Sunlight is available the fan , remote and functions of the Solar Controller will operate, including monitoring humidly, temperature as well as the monitoring functions.
How can I find out the current status of the fan and attic temperature?
Click the "Status" button on the remote, to display the following information:
- Attic Temperature
- Attic Humidity
- Fan status - ON, OFF, or Intermittent (during a house electricity cycle)
Note that the above info will only be available when Solar Controller is powered by sunlight or house electricity. The remote readout will not work when there is no power to the Solar Controller.
Does my remote continuing receive information from the fan?
No, the remote will only gather information when the status switch is selected and there is power going to the control box. If the control box is connected to house power then the remote will display the current condition of the Solar Attic Fan when the status button is selected. If the fan is not connected to the house power and there is no sun powering the Solar Attic Fan then the remote will display nothing when the status button is selected.
The remote will power off in 20 seconds to conserve power. The remote is receiving If you need additional information you will need to select the status button again to retrieve the most current information.
I don't see information displayed on the remote when I hit the status button?
Check the following:
- The Solar Controller is connected to the AC adapter (house power)
- If the Solar Controller is not connected to AC adapter (house power) is there solar power available?
- The remote control has good batteries (2 x "AAA")
- RF channel on the Solar Controller matches the channel set on the remote control.
- If there items do not work then call US Sunlight at 866-446-0966.
How can I change the attic temperature unit (e.g., C to F)?
You may select the desired unit on the Solar Controller itself.
How can I disable the Thermo Switch?
The Thermo Switch is located at the back of the remote control. Switch to the OFF position to disable temperature sensor. When the Thermo Switch is disabled then the fan will run anytime there is power available.
Can I disable the humidistat?
No. The humidistat is by default ON all times to monitor the attic humidity, and turns the fan on when relative humidity reaches 75%. The fan will be turned off when relative humidity drops below 65%. If the Thermal Switch is enabled the fan will only turn on when the temperature is higher than 80 degrees and/or the humidity is higher than 75%. If you disable the Thermal Switch the fan will run anytime there is available power.
Won't using house power add significant cost to my electric bill?
No! The Solar Controller is uniquely optimized to run the least amount of time possible using the least amount of electricity possible. Since the ambient temperature is continually dropping after the sun sets, the fan only needs to run in short intervals and since it uses a DC powered motor, the amount of actual energy drain is minimal. The additional electricity required will cost less than $5 per year.
Is house electricity required to power the Solar Controller unit even if it’s not being used to power the fan?
No! The Solar Controller and remote controller will work when solar is available and the control box will monitor the humidity and temperature of the attic as well as the status of the fan. in order to run the fan after the sun goes down you will need to connect the control box to house power.
Is the Solar Controller difficult to install?
No, it is as simple as connecting two wires and plugging the control box into a power source. For more information please visit the Installation page.
Is additional wiring required to install the Solar Controller?
In order to connect the Solar Controller to house power you will need an electrical outlet within 8 feet of the solar attic fan. If you decide not to connect the Solar Controller to house power or decide to connect to house power at a later date then everything you need to connect the unit is in the package.
Can I install the Solar Controller to my existing Solar Powered Attic Fan?
The Solar Controller has been optimized to work with any U.S. Sunlight products. We do not guarantee the performance if connected to another Solar Attic Fan.
Does the Solar Controller work with the Solar Powered Attic Fan and the Solar Powered All Purpose Ventilator?
Yes, The Solar Controller has been optimized to work with any U.S. Sunlight product. We do not guarantee the performance if connected to another Solar Attic Fan.
What do I do if I install the Solar Controller and get a failure message?
Start by disconnecting the controller from the house power and the motor, wait about a minute, reattach to the motor, sync the remote to the controller and then plug back into house power. The problem is that they have been plugging into house power before they sync to the controller.
The fan has been working for a few days, and is now reporting a failure
The connections between 1) motor and solar panel 2) motor and Solar Controller, and/or 3) Solar Controller and solar panel could be loose. Please check and re-connect all leads and ensure the leads are securely connected.
The fan only runs on House Power, even when the sun is out
1. Make sure leaves, tree or other objects do not shade the solar panel
2. The connections between the Solar Controller and solar panel could be loose. Please check and make sure the leads are securely connected.
3. Check to make sure all wires are connected properly with red-to-red and black-to-black.
4. If problem persists, please call U.S. Sunlight Corporation
The fan is running very slow, even when the sun is out?
With NO house power connection, the only power source is solar. There are a few ways to optimize solar capture, which directly affects how fast the fan runs:
1. Make sure leaves, tree or other objects do not shade the solar panel
2. Tilt and Rotate the Solar Panel or Fan Shroud to capture the maximum sunlight. The best location is to have the panel faces south
3. Ensure all leads are securely connected
4.Check to make sure all wires are connected properly with red-to-red and black-to-black.
5. If problem persists, please call U.S. Sunlight Corporation
When I click on the Status button on the remote, there is no response
Always make sure batteries have been installed on the remote. With NO house power connection, the only power source is solar. There are a few ways to optimize solar capture, which directly affects the Solar Controller operation, and how fast the fan runs:
1. Tilt and Rotate the Solar Panel or Fan Shroud to capture the maximum sunlight. The best location is to have the panel faces south
2. Ensure all leads are securely connected
3. If problem persists, please call U.S. Sunlight Corporation
With house power connection, house power is the secondary power source.
4. Go thru step 1, 2, and 3 to ensure solar capture is maximized
5. Make sure the power adapter is securely connected to the Solar Controller
6. If problem persists, please call U.S. Sunlight Corporation